Cobh Junior Footballers 2017-06-03 09:54:00

Cobh Junior Footballers came up narrowly short in the quarter final clash with Grange in Lisgoold on Friday Night.
 We had defeated Grange last year in the same competition, and we expected and received a determined challenge from an experienced outfit. Full Time Score Cobh: 1-12(15) Grange: 3-8(17).

 Cobh started slowly, and the first fifteen minutes we dominated by Grange. In a three-minute spell around the 10th minute Grange added two points and then their first Goal, to create a 5-point lead. A Conor Farrell pointed free steadied the Cobh team, and started what was to be Cobh’s best period of play. A single Grange point in this period was matched by points from play from Eoin Hastings (2), Cian Spriggs, another Farrell free, and finally a Darragh Kelleher point to draw the teams level with two minutes to half time. Considering we were playing up the hill, and against a wind, it seemed we had turned the game around. Grange got the next point and Cobh quickly again levelled the score, but Grange then added the final point of the half, to restore their one point lead for half time.
 Half Time Score Cobh: 0-7(7) Grange: 1-5(8)

 An early second half goal by Grange upset Cobh plans to push on, but a quick David O’Connor point, followed by an Eoin Hastings goal at 5mins again levelled the score. In the next 10 mins Cobh took the lead three time through points from Cian Spriggs, Jack Ronan, and David O’Connor, but on each occasion Grange answered with a point of their own to restore the balance. Throughout this period, we looked the more likely to push on, but we could not find the necessary spark, nor could we shake Grange’s determination. A Conor Farrell pointed free put Cobh in front for the fourth time with 10 mins to go. At this stage Grange grabbed a somewhat controversial third Goal after a goalmouth scramble. Following consultation with his umpires the goal stood, and Cobh had 8 minutes to respond. Grange retreated and defended their lead, and we were unable to unlock the chances to rescue the game. The final whistle brought scenes of great relief and celebration for Grange, and we wish Grange the best of luck in their semi-final next weekend against Kilbrin.

Back to top